Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
简介Samsung SDI said Thursday it is poised to set up a second electric vehicle battery manufacturing pla ...
Samsung SDI said Thursday it is poised to set up a second electric vehicle battery manufacturing plant with Stellantis in the US state of Indiana.
The production facility will be built by StarPlus Energy, a joint venture of Samsung SDI and Stellantis in the city of Kokomo, next to the JV’s first plant under construction within the region.
The first and second StarPlus Energy Kokomo Gigafactory plants will start operation in the first quarter of 2025 and early 2027 for 33 GWh and 34 GWh capacity, respectively. The two companies have reportedly injected a total of 7.9 trillion won ($5.9 billion) into the project.
The two plants will manufacture prismatic nickel, manganese and cobalt batteries for Stallantis’ plug-in hybrid cars and battery-powered EVs.
Home to Stellantis’ car parts manufacturing base and the joint battery plants with Samsung SDI, Kokomo is expected to be at the forefront of the carmaker’s electrification strategy, according to the battery maker.
“With the second StarPlus Energy plant, the company will be securing the largest production base of EV batteries in North America,” said Samsung SDI CEO Choi Yoon-ho in a statement. “Based on Samsung SDI’s ‘super gap’ technologies, we expect Stellantis’ electric cars to push forward the EV transition in the US.”
Samsung SDI is also constructing another battery plant with General Motors through a joint venture. Scheduled to complete construction by 2026, its annual capacity of cylindrical and prismatic battery cells is projected to be 30 GWh.
By 2027, the company will be operating three battery production sites in the US – two with Stellantis and one with GM – with a total capacity of 97 GWh.
Appearing in a US documentary, singer and painter Solbi has impressed viewers with her courageous jo ...
Red Velvet returns with a third studio album on Nov. 13, label SM Entertainment announced Wednesday. ...
Given South Korea and Vietnam's complementary roles, there is more room for bilateral cooperati ...
- 기세 올린 이재명 체제…이번엔 한동훈 겨냥 공세 집중
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- “가자주민 삶 최악…한국지원 절실”
- Chinese avant
- Political parties call for revision of military exemptions for athletes
- Striving to be the best, TXT returns with 3rd LP
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- Spike in camping enthusiasts in Korea, yet camping etiquette lags behind
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
- Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
- Seoul reviews scenarios for restoring guard posts in DMZ
- Hotel chief fined for safety violation in Itaewon tragedy trial
- Transgender blind spot in hospitalization: NHRCK
- Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
- South Korea warns tit
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- HiteJinro soju seeks bigger footing in UK
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Daily Sports Hankook hopes to help stengthen Korea