USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
简介The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base ...
The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base later this week, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday, in a major show of force against North Korean threats.
Carrier Strike Group 5, which includes the aircraft carrier, the Aegis-equipped USS Shoup destroyer and other warships, will enter the naval base in Busan, 320 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on Thursday for a five-day visit, according to the ministry.
The USS Ronald Reagan last visited South Korea in September 2022 for the first time after about four years. It is the second U.S. aircraft carrier to visit the nation this year after the USS Nimitz docked in Busan in March for naval drills with South Korea.
The visit comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea unveiled a new "tactical nuclear attack" submarine early last month. It has also vowed to launch a military spy satellite again this month after two failed attempts this year.
The ministry said the carrier strike group's visit has been scheduled as part of the U.S. commitment to further enhance the "regular visibility" of strategic assets to the peninsula as outlined by their leaders in the Washington Declaration issued in April this year.
"(The visit) is a key demonstration of the U.S.' extended deterrence in action, and will become an opportunity to strengthen the combined defense posture for an immediate, overwhelming and decisive response against North Korea's continued provocations," Vice Adm. Kim Myung-soo, South Korea's Fleet Commander, was quoted as saying.
The U.S. carrier strike group took part in a two-day trilateral exercise in international waters southeast of the resort island of Jeju through Tuesday, involving South Korean and Japanese warships, the first such drills in seven years.
During its stay in Busan, the U.S. carrier strike group plans to conduct friendly exchanges with the South Korean Navy. (Yonhap)
South Korea's finance minister nominee on Tuesday said strengthening economic stabilization eff ...
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov announced plans for an October visit to Pyongyang following t ...
When the grip of summer loosens and the air turns cooler, Koreans pay particular attention to the pr ...
Requirements for zoo licenses set to be toughened
Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
[Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
[Korean History] Deadly sinking of Navy ship in 2010 marks worst postwar military disaster
Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- Child kills man with stone, sparking debate over legal immunity of children
- Abandoned dog with note and heart sparks anger
- [Herald Interview] VIXX highlights group’s continuity in 5th EP ‘Continuum’
- BTS’ V, actor Yoo Seung
- South Korea’s digital reputation dented by government network outage
- S. Korea, Britain vow closer ties in nuclear energy sector
- 김영진, 원희룡 인천 계양을 출마설에 “이재명과 맞대결 환영”
- 'Dancing woman' on Seoul street arrested for meth use
- Suneung might not see perfect scorer for first time in 13 years
- 이준석 “가해자 따로 있는데…인요한 ‘대리사과’ 황당 제안”
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- Samsung Electronics forecasts Q3 rebound
- [Today’s K
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- [HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
- [Busan Is Ready] Busan Expo strives to present climate change solutions
- N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- Dawn begins mandatory military service
- USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
- 판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
- [New on scene] Kim Chang
- S. Korea warns of potential NK surprise attacks using Hamas tactics
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout