您现在的位置是：부모와 아이 >>正文
[HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
简介Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Kor ...
Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s Humanity in Tech Forum as a representative of future scientists moving forward for the nation’s space industry.
“I would like to first express my heartfelt gratitude for giving such an exceptional opportunity to speak at this huge forum,” said Choi at The Shilla Seoul on Wednesday.
As part of an experiment last month, students at Aircraft -- an aerospace engineering club at Gimhae Bunsung High School in South Gyeongsang Province -- successfully launched a helium balloon with a camera into the sky.
“The basic idea was to capture the Earth’s marvelous landscapes in the sky and review the concepts about atmosphere that we learned in Earth Science class,” explained Choi, the key member of Aircraft.
According to Choi, the project actually started last year. The launch last year was also successful, but the students failed to carry out the final stage of recovering the balloon.
“We did an in-depth analysis of factors that led to the last trial’s failure, which guaranteed this year’s success,” Choi noted.
Last year, they used a smartphone as a balloon tracker as well as a camera, which could not endure the stratosphere's cold temperatures of up to minus 70 degrees Celsius. This year, they decided to affix a respective GPS tracker and camera to the balloon, while keeping them warm.
Choi recalled his vivid memory of the launch by showing a recorded video from the camera that was on the floating helium balloon. During its nearly 1 1/2 hour flight, the balloon captured a clear image of the Korean Peninsula and even Tsushima Island of Japan over the clouds while reaching the stratosphere.
“The balloon is expected to climb to 33 kilometers in altitude,” Choi said. After the balloon safely survived its parachute landing, the students recovered it.
“Thankfully, our project was reported in many news outlets and received tremendous attention,” he said.
The 18-year old student is now working on a new small rocket project. “As we take steps toward university, our ultimate goal and dream is to build reusable launch vehicles with Korea’s own technology,” Choi announced.
Choi stressed the need for increased interest in the nation’s space industry. “Your support will allow young students like me to take on new challenges more eagerly,” he said.
“While achieving my dream, I will always remember this honorable moment with Sasha Sagan and Dr. Yi Soyeon,” he said, referring to the forum’s main speakers.
- 부모와 아이
경기 과천 중앙선거관리위원회의 모습. 뉴스1내년 4·10총선 출마 예정인 지역구 예비후보자 등록이 12일부터 시작된다.중앙선거관리위원회는 선거일 120일 전인 12일부터 제22대 ...
- 부모와 아이
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
- 부모와 아이
제1 야당 대표 체포동의안 표결은 팽팽한 긴장감 속에서 진행됐다. 21일 오후 국회 본회의장에 들어선 더불어민주당 의원들은 서로의 마음을 확인하려는 듯 삼삼오오 모여 이야기를 나눴 ...
- Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- "조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
- Yoon orders increased defense of public digital infrastructure
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- [Korean History] 'Yonsama' fans trailblaze Hallyu in Japan
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- Braving wind and high water to celebrate Dokdo Day
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- 국회서 피켓‧고성 사라지나…여야, 정쟁자제 '신사협정' 체결
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- Seoul shares snap 3
- Partial list of artists to perform at 2023 MAMA Awards unveiled
- LG Chem opens research center in US
- S. Korea to complete LSD vaccinations by early Nov.: ministry
- 4 North Koreans cross maritime border, say want to defect
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- 4 North Koreans cross East Sea maritime border in first since 2019
- Korea's yakgwa booming on back of ‘newtro’ trend, media coverage
- Seoul shares dip amid grim outlook for EV sector
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi
- Woori Bank accelerates overseas expansion
- Hyundai looks to repeat late founder’s Mideast success with EVs, hydrogen